Saturday, February 14, 2009

Just Some Good Books

For several years I have kept a log of books I read. Usually I am just a few books shy of 52. I don't count non-fiction books that are not read all the way through. Glancing at my list (and not pondering it too much) I recommend the following that I have read recently:

  • Olive Kitteredge by Elizabeth Strout. Very well-written.
  • Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
  • The Fledgling by Octavia Butler and also Kindred by Octavia Butler, read earlier this year. These were both totally out of my usual reading tastes. Of the two I think Kindred a bit better.
  • Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund. (Takes some persistence as it is a lengthy epic.)

Today is my Anti-procrastination Day. If you read Fly Lady, you will recognize Anti-Procrastination Day and if you don't, the name is self-explanatory. That was an idea I sent to FlyLady and although she didn't give me credit, she did write to me to tell me she was going to implement it.

I also made a quick trip to my LYS, Ewe-nique Yarns in Morton IL, to pick up two skeins of Noro Kureyon and the latest Debbie Bliss Magazine. There isn't anything in the Debbie Bliss magazine that I think I'll make but it is inspirational nonetheless. On the other side of the coin, the spring Interweave Knits arrived earlier this week, and there are several projects that grabbed my immediate attention, including the cardigan on the front cover. The Petal Tank is fascinating also. I doubt it would look good on me (2" of negative ease) but my son's girlfriend would look amazing in it.

My husband's valentine today will be a homeade cherry pie. (He says mine is the best which is a very smart thing for a husband to say.) Pie is his favorite dessert and it needs to be warm and with ice cream, lots of it, on top. In fact, when I travel and he is home, he always eats pie. I guess I turn into pie, which isn't a bad thing. It could be worse!

No comments:

Printer Friendly

Print