Saturday, November 17, 2007

It is good to be home!

Thank you for your prayers, well wishes, and supportive emails. My husband and I flew home on Wed. Tuesday had been a difficult day. We spent the whole day in the clinic with doctors appointments. We received good news from one doctor and not-so-good from another doctor. Our son's back will heal 100%. His foot is more seriously injured than we thought. We expected to get a walking cast and have him back into normal activities in 8 weeks. Instead he had surgery yesterday to repair the breaks. He may develop arthritis in that foot. Also, he cannot put weight on his foot or drive a car for 6 months! That isn't what an activie 29 year old wants to hear. Still, we are so grateful that both our son and DIL are both alive. The injuries could have been so much worse. It was difficult for me to not be with him during the surgery but it was time for us to come home. His mother-in-law is there taking good care of both of them.



So what have I been knitting? I finished the details on a sweater and booties for my hairdresser who had a little girl in September. The sweater is from One-Skein Wonders by Judith Durant and the booties are from Natural Knits for Babies and Moms by Louisa Harding.







I finished a few more bibs. These are great plane projects. Knitting kept me sane on this trip.

I also finished my first pair of socks using two circular needles! The yarn is Essential from Knit Picks. The feel of this yarn is just wonderful. I am definitely getting more in other colors. The color here is "Grass" and is a darker green than it appears in my photo.


When life has been turned upside down for a while you really appreciate the ordinary days even more. I love puttering about on a Saturday morning. Saturday is my usual day for going through magazines, mail order catalogs, and any other paper that I have not kept under control during the week. I also water and feed my African Violets and other indoor plants. Today I am enjoying these chores even more. Just the ordinary household task of doing laundry is more enjoyable when you've been doing laundry in a laundromat. It is good to be home!








4 comments:

Tussilago said...

Hello Paula.
Ohh...I almost don`t know how to put into words my feeling when I red the story about your son and DIL`s accident...all my preyers for a good healing for them both. Life can be cruel sometimes, and I can truly understand your comfort in beeing able to concentrate in everyday tasks again.
I havn`t been blogging or visiting other bloggs for some time now. Not really for any reason...but I suppose we have been focused on other things.This weekend I moowd my computer to my own special room on the second floor..as it earlier was placed in the living room. My arms and neck were hurting cause it was not a good way to sit as I was blogging...but now everything is perfect;)
Have a nice week, Paula!

Rowan said...

I'm so glad to see that you are home and that things are progressing reasonably well with your son and DIL. I hope that the surgery on your son's foot is successful, not driving for 6 months is a minor thing really,an inconvenience rather than a disaster. It's only this era that is so reliant on cars, the human race actually managed perfectly well without them for thousands of years:) You certainly got plenty of knitting done, I found that Louisa Harding book last week and am considering getting it, having seen what you made from it I shall add it to my wishlist.

Paula said...

Again, thanks for your support. I do like the Louisa Harding book although the projects are made with very chunky yarns which is a little unusual for baby clothing. Of course they knit up quickly in that gauge. The sizes go up to 12 months.

Great to hear from you, too, my little Norwegian friend. Tusind tak!

Hoc Age said...

It was good to hear somethings are progressing with the care of your son, though I'm sure this is still very difficult for all involved.
Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving.

Printer Friendly

Print