Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Aye, Caledonia!







I have a yearning for Scotland. Perhaps that is obvious since I play the pipes. The last time I was in Scotland was in August 2005 when our band competed in the World Pipe Band Championship Games. I would love to go back soon but I don't think that will happen in the near future. Watching this short clip makes me want to book a flight right now! Scotland is celebrating the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns.




These photos were taken on the west coast of Scotland in Ayrshire when we visited in 2005. The land formation on the horizon is called "The Sleeping Warrior".


"Caledonia" is an ancient term, used by the Roman Empire for the northern part of Great Britain. It is used today as a poetic name for Scotland. You will hear it in songs about Scotland where it conjures up images of those misty mountains and shady glens.








It is a busy, busy week. The band is playing in a concert at Grace Presbyterian Church in Peoria. They ask us to play about every other year. It is a huge commitment. We have dress rehearsal tonight (Wednesday) and evening performances on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and a Sunday afternoon performance. The good news is that when we aren't tuning our pipes I can knit! Isn't it wonderful that knitting is so portable? On Sunday night we have our Small Group from church. On Saturday I'm having my annual Holiday Open House for my business. Time to get back to the rock pile.








3 comments:

KPiep said...

Thank You for sharing your pictures! And have fun performing! It sounds exciting - and I love the fact that you can sneak in some knitting.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you, and I love the photos! There's a small town named Caledonia just a few miles south of us here in Missouri.

Good luck with the Open House!

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Scotland, but it does look beautiful. Maybe one day.
I hope you get back soon too.

Printer Friendly

Print