Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day in Our Town

A local funeral director has been the leading force in raising money to purchase over 500 flags for our town.  We've had flags for some time but not this number.  It was quite impressive to see the flags on the town square and lining both sides of Main St.  On Memorial Day there is a parade from the town square to the local cemetery, a distance of 2 miles.  The parade consists a color guard, high school band, various scout troups, mayor and city officials, and me, piping along the way.  We forgot to bring our camera so there are no photos of me for this year but picture one piper following a lot of Boy Scouts and you get the idea.  It was a warm day, bordering on hot and I have to admit I'm a little bit proud of myself for walking at a fast pace and playing my pipes for the two mile parade.  I only stopped playing for about 30 to 60 sec while a ran to catch up with the Boy Scouts.  It's a good feeling to be able to contribute to an event to honor our service men and women.


2 comments:

KPiep said...

I must admit, I dread parades, and am very, very happy my MIL takes the girls to our Memorial Day parade!

On the way to drop the girls off yesterday morning, I couldn't help but admire one of our cemetaries, though, as it was decorated with hundreds of flags in all sizes. Beautiful

Anonymous said...

I "talked" to you on Ravelry, but just wanted to tell you again how good you sounded. I absolutely love the little town feel of the parade. It seemed like there were more people out for it this year. I love the chairs sitting out along the route. Guess I just loved everything about it this year. I am anonymous because Google and I aren't being friendly today :)

Printer Friendly

Print