Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Having a Ball

The first spheres I knitted for Rachel's Knit Cents LAL were from the book Knitting for Baby by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas. The pattern is called Baby's First Ball. Ok, I got a little carried away and finally stopped at 10. This is potato chip knitting at its finest. The first 5 or so were made with remnants from my wool stash. It was fun using up every bit of wool of a particular skein until I realized I needed something to sew the hole up with after felting. (I forgot that the end piece would felt also. Knock on head.) Noro Kureyon makes the best colors but some of the best felting wool is plain. Dark wool tends to felt more quickly than light wool. Why? I have no idea. Maybe a spinner can tell me.









I like the looks of the colors in one of the big salad bowls hand turned by my dad.





Billiards, anyone?











Learning experience: In the photo with two green and purple balls: the ball on the left was knitted with alternating segments of Noro Kureyon and Cascade 220. (green). The ball on the right was made only with Cascade 220. These were knit on the same needles and run through the same wash together. Since the Noro did not felt as quickly as the Cascade, the blended ball is nearly twice the size of the Cascade ball. These two balls went with my friend Carol for her little grandson in California.




There are many lovely balls, but I'm partial to the colors in this one.







3 comments:

angela said...

Oh and kids so love the simplest toys. I've really fought not to let computer generated sounds through the door.

At almost three she has never played with Barbies...but she can work the computer and even plays Mahjong with me!

KPiep said...

Those are so much fun!

joyknits said...

What fun :o)

Printer Friendly

Print