Friday, May 14, 2010

Summit Stole

Summit is the teaser that I posted about a few weeks ago. It was a gift for my little mom for Mother's Day. When Dad opened the package and showed it to her, they both gasped. Isn't that just the reaction we knitters are looking for?

Summit is a free pattern from Knitty.com. I used an alpaca/silk blend that was left over from a shawl I made. My version is only 9 columns wide so it is considerably less wide than the original. Once the intial set-up rows are established, the pattern is easily memorized. Next time I'm going to try garter stitch as the reverse side reminds me of calamari. There are more notes on my Ravelry page.

Yesterday the knitters from my Prayer Shawl group came over a Porch Morning. We sat in the sunroom with steaming mugs of coffee and tea, watching the busy birds flitting back and forth from the feeders. I suppose a little knitting was done also. Rose-breasted Grosbeaks have been migrating through and were constantly at the feeders and in the nearby trees all day. This morning I am watching them as I sit at my laptop. How could one not be impressed by such a display? These birds (the males, of course) seem to be aware of their magnificence and love to show it off. I would love to watch these birds all summer but I know we are just a stop on their way to northern breeding grounds.












6 comments:

angela said...

I love that prayer shawl! And so would like to have a group too. I've got to get to making some samples and just do it. I don't like the too simple knit 3 purl 3 things, so I'm finding a pattern that I think will work better, at least for me.

KPiep said...

Summit is gorgeous! I was wondering when I would see a real one in the wild.

I'm envious too of your Porch morning. My own knitting group has fallen apart in the last few months (not the guild, but my other friends) and I really miss being able to spend time with them.

I think perhaps part of why you and I get along so well is that we appreciate similar things - and our porches are definitly similar. Although, I do have to ignore the highway sounds on mine, and I totally lose the illusion of country tranquility once the trees lose their leaves in the fall....

joyknits said...

Cool photos! So far I haven't seen any grosbeaks this year - maybe they passed us by.

Mette said...

I scroll down your page, pass beautiful pink knitting and end up with a the rose-breasted bird. Very lovely :)

Kim said...

Lovely!

Anonymous said...

An unusual knit & it turned out great - the color really makes it pop too.

Printer Friendly

Print