Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Red Tea Leaves Cardigan is Finished


I believe Tea Leaves is my favorite cardigan of all time. Combine the softest merino wool (Tosh Merino) with a great fit and interesting detail and you have a sure winner. The neckline is perfect. I did add a short row or two in the first band of garter stitch at the back neck edge but I probably would not do that again as I do not think it matters.

Modifications:

  • Added about 1 inch of short rows in the back between the armholes and the garter border so the back would not ride up. (ala Elizabeth Zimmermann).

  • Widened the sleeves by about 2 inches by casting on extra stitches at the underarms. They were too close for comfort

  • Used Elizabeth Zimmermann's One-Row buttonhole instead of the one in the pattern. I tried it on a swatch and preferred my old stand-by. The next time I knit this sweater I will make the buttonholes just one stitch smaller to accomodate a slightly smaller button.
The ceramic buttons are from Heartstone Ceramics on etsy.com. I think they set the sweater off nicely.
If I had remained monogamous while knitting Tea Leaves, it would have been done in two weeks. What a fun sweater to knit!

5 comments:

KPiep said...

It's absolutely beautiful, and I know you are going to be wearing it a lot!

joyknits said...

Gorgeous color and I love the buttons!

Mette said...

What a lovely cardigan!The yoke is very flattering.

angela said...

Oh yes, it's beautiful! You've got me tempted to add yet another to my queue.

Kim said...

Beautiful! I love the color. :)

Printer Friendly

Print