Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Elfin Hat and another Baby Sweater






I devised this pattern because I wanted a cap to go with several garter stitch baby sweaters. The garter stitch patterns I found were too feminine for my purpose. I’m sure someone has come up with something very similar but I couldn’t find anything. I used the same yarn as the sweater and booties on the garter stitch border. When I ran out of that color, I switched to a lighter shade of the Bernat Cottontots. The sweater in the above photo is the Heartbreakingly Cute Baby Kimono that I knit from Mason Dixon Knitting several months ago.


Size: Newborn to 3 months
Yarn: Bernat Cottontots
Needles: I used #5 16” circular and a set of #5 dpns
Gauge: 4.5 st per inch

Cast on 56 stitches on a 16” circular needle.

Knit back and forth to create 1 ½ inches garter stitch. (I prefer to join into a circle at this point and knit one row purl one row instead of having a seam.)

If you have not already joined your stitches into a circle, do so now. Knit stockinette stitch for 2 inches.

(As you decrease, change to dpns when stitches no long reach around the needle.)

Decrease round: Knit 6, Knit 2 together around.
Rows 2-4 Knit
Decrease round: Knit 5, Knit 2 together around
Rows 6 -8 Knit
Continue decreasing in this way every 4th round. On the last decrease round of K2 tog all around, continue to knit 2 around until you have 3 stitches on needle.

Knit I-cord for about 3 inches and bind off. Weave in all ends and tie a knot in the I-cord to make the top knot.





The cap also went with the Garter Stitch Sweater from Simple Knits for Cherished Babies by Erika Knight. On this one I made a tassle, but I think I prefer the i-cord top knot. I enjoyed knitting this sweater so much. There is very little sewing up to do. You start knitting at the bottom of the back and progress upwards, casting on for each arm and then dividing and knitting your way down each front.
















No comments:

Printer Friendly

Print