Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Pod of Mittens




I was inspired by Saartje to photograph the mitten collection I have made for myself. I'm sure there is no term for a group of mittens so I've labled them a pod, as in a group of whales (no relation):). Over the years I have also knit many mittens for children and a few for adults. The weather and the coat I am wearing will determine the mitten choice.


Imagine a clock..At 11 and 1 are Norwegian Mittens. The black and white ones are about 20 years old and have been mended. The green and blue ones were made from a kit about 5 years ago. I enjoyed making the first one, but you know how it is....the second one is not as much fun until you get near the end.


At 3 o'clock are Elizabeth Zimmermann's Mitered Mittens in handspun and hand-dyed wool (not by me) They have also been mended. I have re-knit both thumbs.


At 6 is a pair of Victorian Mittens with a lace cuff, mentioned in an earlier blog posting.


At 9 are Stuffed Mitten's from Robin Hansen's Fox Geese and Fences. In the photo below I turned one mitten inside out so you can see what the stuffing is like. Although it looks a bit strange, it does keep the hands warm. You feel as if you are wearing boxing gloves. Don't even try to zip your coat with a pair of these on! Thanks to Saartje, I am getting in the mood to knit mittens!




5 comments:

Rowan said...

I love those Elizabeth Zimmermann mittens both the colours and the design.

Britt-Arnhild said...

A great "pod-casting" :-)
I love them.

Knitted Gems said...

Beautiful mittens!

I've only made mittens once. I may never do it again.

Felicia said...

Those mittens look fabulous :)

tippytoesknits said...

LOVE the mitered mittens!

Printer Friendly

Print