Saturday, January 5, 2008

2007 Reading

I've been thinking of reviewing my reading for the past year and have been inspired by Pfeiffer Booknotes to do so now. It's always hard to narrow down a list to favorites, isn't it? Some I can rule out completely. I don't list books that I started but did not finish. Usually I give a book about 50 pages before giving up on it unless I am absolutely sure after a few pages that the writing style is poor.



I logged 43 books for the year. Of those 9 were non-fiction/34 fiction. I keep my log in table format on my computer. I have been faithful for about 5 years now. Previously I kept a handwritten log and fizzled out because I made too many demands on myself (writing little book reviews, etc.) Now I use a star system and write a few words if I am so inclined.



Best Classic

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Sorry to be so cliche. Many consider this book to be the best American novel of the 20th century. I agree it has to be at the top.

Best Fiction
The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton. This was a difficult decision. There were probably several that ranked right up there with this one.


Best Non Fiction

The World I Live In by Helen Keller. Written by her at the tender age of 18.


Biggest Surprise

Kindred by Octavia Butler. I normally do not read science fiction. This is a time-travel book so some may not consider it sci-fi.




Best Memoir (I can't decide between these 2)

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Red Rowan and Wild Honey by Betsey Whyte. Sequel to Yellow on the Broom. Betsey Whyte grew up as a traveler (also known as gypsies) in Scotland.

3 comments:

Britt-Arnhild said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is the only one I know from your great list :-)

Birte said...

Very interesting list, I wrote several of them on my soon-to-read list. Is Yellow on the Broom good too?

Paula said...

Yes, Yellow on the Broom is actually a little better and should be read first since it deals with the first part of her life. I should warn you that both books contains a lot of Scottish dialect and might be difficult to read, especially if English isn't your first language. Most of the words can be figured out by context but I had to look a few up in the glossary in the back of the book. The author had little formal education and the editors left her writing largely as it was. She was a natural writer.

Birte, we saw an interesting segment on a documentary show about an in-depth study of happiness. Denmark was ranked #1 among nations around the world for happiness among its people. :)

Printer Friendly

Print